General Education is a very important part of a University of Arizona student’s educational experience. We encourage all faculty to become involved in teaching General Education courses and to work with the University-wide General Education Committee to make the General Education Curriculum both interesting and effective for our students. Please join us in this important endeavor.
To submit a course, please complete the following steps:
- Read the General Education Philosophy Statement and the Policy Regarding Who Can Teach University-wide General Education Courses
- Follow the General Education Course Syllabus Policy when developing your syllabus.
- Look over the Course Proposal Rubric that the UWGEC will use to evaluate your proposal
- The course proposal should be submitted through UAccess Course Management System for approval by your department, school, and college. Include General Education course approval in your route for review. Deadlines for new courses and course changes have been set by the Office of the Registrar. Please submit your General Education proposal, with a syllabus in Word (docx) format, 6 – 8 weeks in advance to allow time for the review process.
- In the Course Management System process, you will need to provide information pertinent to the General Education Guidelines. The proposal will be routed to the University-wide General Education Committee (UWGEC) for consideration. The review process may take 1-2 months, depending on the UWGEC meeting schedule. If more information is needed or if changes are necessary before the course meets General Education standards, the Committee will contact you.
- If you're proposing an existing course for General Education, submit a Course Modification Request in the Course Management System, and include a copy of your syllabus for UWGEC's review.
Faculty from the UWGEC New Course Subcommittee will review your proposal and will make a recommendation to the full University-wide General Education Committee at the next scheduled monthly meeting.
If/when your proposal is approved by the UWGEC, the course will be added to the Course Catalog and can then be scheduled for the approved semester through Room and Course Scheduling.
If you have any questions or would like to talk with someone as you develop your course and syllabus, please contact Abbie Sorg, Curricular Affairs, at firstname.lastname@example.org.